In the United States, too few students have access to effective, high-performing public schools. At City Fund (CF), we work to increase educational opportunities for students and families by partnering with city and state leaders to create innovative public school systems. We believe that public schools do best when:
- Educators have the power to make decisions that meet the diverse needs of their students;
- Families are provided the information and access to choose the best schools for their children; and
- Schools are held accountable for helping all students succeed.
We’re inspired by the growing number of cities that have empowered educators to dramatically expand opportunities for students in public schools.
What We Do
City Fund provides financial support and expertise to local leaders seeking to improve educational opportunities in their cities.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We believe that the work in cities will only succeed if it is led by leaders who reflect the students and families they serve. We are investing in diverse leaders to increase the number of Black and LatinX leaders who hold roles as superintendents, non-profit executives, and other city-level roles.
What You’ll Do
The staff accountant works closely with our Finance and Accounting team to process accounts payable and receivables, track grantee and consultant agreements, and respond to payments and invoice requests from the team. Our ideal candidate is familiar with accounting software, such as QuickBooks and Sage Intact, and will have a strong working knowledge of basic bookkeeping principles. The staff accountant’s essential responsibilities will be to maintain financial records, oversee expense reporting and the daily financial entries and reconciliations, and other related activities as delineated by the director of finance.
What You’ll Own
As Staff Accountant, you will:
- Compile and analyze accounting data to prepare entries to accounts, record transactions, and investigate and correct any discrepancies in financial statements and records.
- Interpret the meaning of accounting records, reports, and statements and advise team on accounting matters.
- Track invoices and payments, process vendor bill payments, and complete journal entries and reviews.
- Set up new accounts, reconcile accounts, and review and approve expense reports.
- Create an efficient and organized system for organizing and filing financial documents and records.
- Ensure timely receipt and entry of employee timesheets.
- Recommend improvements, adaptations, or revisions on internal data tracking systems (i.e., track 1099 eligible vendors and consultants, employee stipend payments, etc.)
- Ensure clean audits and compliance with federal, state, and organizational laws, regulations, guidelines, and best practices (i.e. tax laws, GAAP, CAS).
What Skills You’ll Need to Be Successful
- You will have extensive knowledge of general financial accounting and a strong understanding of and ability to adhere to generally accepted accounting principles. Highly proficient with accounting software.
Strong Relationship Builder
- You enjoy building great relationships and being a part of a virtual community. The ideal person will have the ability to quickly build strong relationships with our internal team, specifically the Finance and Accounting team and grants management director.
Strong Communicator and Organizer
- Heightened attention to detail, organizational skills, and written and verbal communications skills. A strong ability to accomplish a lot on quick timelines with a high level of accuracy; deadline oriented.
What You’ll Bring
- Deep commitment to CF’s mission and strategy. People who believe deeply are the best ambassadors.
- Deep commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and improving conditions in marginalized communities.
- Ability to succeed in a highly autonomous work environment.
What We Offer
The salary for this position is in the range of $45,000-$62,000 commensurate with experience. City Fund provides a
comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please share your cover letter and resume with us outlining relevant experience and achievements at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Staff Accountant – [Name]” in the subject of your email.
City Fund is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.« Back to Careers