Director, Communications Accelerator Fund
What We Do
In the United States, too few students have access to effective, high-performing public schools. At City Fund (CF), we work to increase educational opportunities for students and families by partnering with city and state leaders to create innovative public school systems. We believe that public schools do best when educators have the power to make decisions that meet the diverse needs of their students, families are provided the information and access to choose the best schools for their children, and schools are held accountable for helping all students succeed.
City Fund provides financial support and expertise to local leaders seeking to improve educational opportunities in their cities. We support 15 cities across the country and hope to eventually reach most American cities. We focus on supporting:
- High quality, innovative schools with nonprofit governing structures and diverse leadership
- City leaders, including civic leaders and nonprofits that are working to build innovative public education systems
- Teacher talent organizations that recruit, train and support teachers with an emphasis on teachers of color
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We believe that the work in cities will only succeed if it is led by leaders who reflect the students and families they serve. We are investing in diverse leaders to increase the number of Black and LatinX leaders who hold roles as superintendents, non-profit executives, and other city-level positions.
Our Communications Work
We believe that the success of City Fund’s mission will largely be determined by our ability to use differentiated and targeted communications strategies to help elevate the voices of parents, educators, and local leaders. We also know that amid a third year of learning interrupted by a pandemic, we have a unique opportunity to support our local partners in advocating for greater equity in their educational systems.
For these reasons, City Fund is launching a Communications Accelerator Fund to work with local and national education leaders to elevate new voices, increase collaboration and extend our reach to key community stakeholders. The Communications Accelerator Fund supports city and state leaders with communications efforts, increasing communications coordination across the country, and conducting message research and development.
What You’ll Do
As Director, Communications Accelerator Fund, you will report to a City Fund Partner overseeing the Fund and play an essential role in leading a comprehensive communications strategy for CF. This position works closely with CF’s internal team and externally with education and advocacy leaders to assess program needs, identify messaging challenges across cities and varied communities, and ensure all CF communications align with our brand. Key responsibility areas of this role include:
Building local capacity
- Provide on-call consulting support to communications leads in grantee organizations, including but not limited to; strategic planning, message and content development, media training, digital strategy and execution, sourcing candidates/consultants for partner organizations, and crisis management.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with a diverse portfolio of communications experts, consultants, and vendors to support local leaders
- Support the communications strategy of local candidates and advocacy campaigns
Leading a communications grant portfolio
- Manage national communications grants, including the development of metrics, reporting, and performance tracking
- Work with grantees and others to ensure up to date research, strategies, and tactics are coordinated across aligned partners
Coordinating national communications efforts
- Work with writers, PR firms, etc. to source and pitch local voiced and stories to the national press
- Manage the release of research reports, including coordinating partners and developing materials
- Work with CF’s national partners to identify and pursue new opportunities for storytelling that can reach key audiences
- Support branding and communications efforts as needed
What We’re Looking For
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- A belief in educational equity and innovative school models with substantial professional experience in education
- A demonstrated commitment to community-driven change, advancing racial equity, and centering the perspectives of those most impacted in decision-making, including experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Excellent communication, writing, and storytelling skills
- Senior level experience and a track record of success across major communications areas and in an ecosystem-level, politically-oriented role (comprehensive strategy, digital media, earned media, crisis communications, campaigns, etc.)
- Experience in a role involving consulting and hands-on advising to a variety of organizations, regions, or departments, as well as facilitating communities of learning and resource-sharing
- Team management experience
- A self-starting, entrepreneurial, adaptable and actionable orientation, with experience in a startup-like environment
- Exceptional relationship and trust building skills across a wide array of stakeholder groups (national system leaders, internal team members at all levels, local partners, parents/communities members)
- Familiarity with grant funding and grant relationships a plus
What We Offer
The salary range for this position is $150,000-$195,000, commensurate with experience. City Fund provides a comprehensive benefits package.
How To Apply
Submit your application at https://forms.gle/eCBLuaWH8Am2VBTp8
City Fund is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.« Back to Careers