In the United States, too few students have access to effective, high-performing public schools. At City Fund (CF), we work to increase educational opportunities for students and families by partnering with city and state leaders to create innovative public school systems. We believe that public schools do best when:
- Educators have the power to make decisions that meet the diverse needs of their students;
- Families are provided the information and access to choose the best schools for their children; and
- Schools are held accountable for helping all students succeed.
We’re inspired by the growing number of cities that have empowered educators to dramatically expand opportunities for students in public schools.
What We Do
City Fund provides financial support and expertise to local leaders seeking to improve educational opportunities in their cities.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We believe that the work in cities will only succeed if it is led by leaders who reflect the students and families they serve. We are investing in diverse leaders to increase the number of Black and LatinX leaders who hold roles as superintendents, non-profit executives, and other city-level roles.
What You’ll Do
The Staff Accountant will work closely with our finance and accounting team to manage City Fund’s day-to-day financial operations, including maintaining financial records and reports, assisting with grant records and reporting, optimizing our accounting processes, and ensuring legal compliance. As Staff Accountant, you will be responsible for the following:
Accounting & Bookkeeping
- Creating an efficient and effective system for financial recordkeeping, including: setting up new accounts, compiling and analyzing data to prepare entries to accounts, recording transactions, completing journal entries, tracking invoices and payments, reviewing and approving expense reports, and ensuring timely receipt and entry of employee timesheets
- Reviewing financial records, reconciling accounts, and investigating and correcting any discrepancies in financial data and statements
- Interpreting accounting records, reports, and statements and advising the team on accounting problem-solving and best practices
Grant Process Support
- Creating grant and consulting agreements and processing amendments as needed
- Processing grant details and entering into City Fund’s grants management system
- Collecting and monitoring grant reports
- Providing periodic support for completing required state and federal grant documentation and insurance materials
Compliance & Process Improvement
- Ensuring clean audits and compliance with federal, state, and organizational laws, regulations, guidelines, and best practices (i.e. tax laws, GAAP, CAS)
- Recommending improvements, adaptations, or revisions to internal data tracking systems (i.e., track 1099 eligible vendors and consultants, employee stipend payments, etc.)
What We’re Looking For
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- A deep commitment to CF’s mission and strategy, including alignment to our values of diversity, equity, and inclusion and a commitment to improving conditions in marginalized communities
- A track record of success in an administrative, operational and/or accounting role requiring precise recordkeeping and reporting, time and task management, coordination, compliance, and process management and improvement
- Strong working knowledge of and ability to adhere to generally accepted accounting principles, including proficiency with accounting software (Quickbooks experience preferred)
- Familiarity with the grant process and grant accounting preferred
- A self-starting, entrepreneurial, adaptable and actionable orientation, with experience in a highly autonomous, deadline-driven work environment
- Heightened attention to detail, organizational skills, and an ability to maintain accuracy and precision while delivering on a high volume of tasks with quick timelines
- An ability to build strong team relationships and trust in a virtual environment, with excellent written and oral communication skills
What We Offer
The salary for this position is in the range of $55,000-$75,000 commensurate with experience. City Fund provides a comprehensive benefits package.
How To Apply:
Submit your application using the following link: https://forms.gle/d3WC5TJ9foUTTGM2A
City Fund is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.« Back to Careers